[OTR-dev] OTR encryption state

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jan 27 16:01:15 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:28:19PM -0800, verbal wrote:
> you dont need NEVER *and* MANUAL.
>
> In fact, you can replace NEVER and ALWAYS with MANUAL. just have
> MANUAL off = NEVER and MANUAL on = ALWAYS.

The difference between MANUAL and NEVER is whether you allow the other
guy to start OTR.  If so, it's MANUAL.  If not, it's NEVER.

The difference between MANUAL and ALWAYS is that's it's not possible to
send plaintext with ALWAYS, but it is with MANUAL.

Maybe "MANUAL" isn't the right word?

> to me, having MANUAL and OPPORTUNISTIC seems to be the simplist and
> most intuitive design.

I think it leaves out important modes you might want to specify.