[OTR-dev] OTR encryption state

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Jan 26 17:42:08 EST 2005

  with what i'm proposing, you would be in mode 1 for manual control of
  encrypted or not, mode 2 for encrypted if possible, and mode 3 for
  encrypted only.

The real question is the user's needs.   Forcing encrypted only is
something I would find useful.  I find sometimes that OTR causes
problems, due to poor interaction with gaim and multiple jabber
resources.   I would imagine that the 'try otr' mode would be a good
default, and that you'd want to set 'otr only' mode for people that
you know are always otr capable, so you don't slip on the first
message.  I'd only set 'no otr' when I was having trouble with otr, so
wouldn't mind if  it was a trip to prefs/plugins/otr to change.