[OTR-dev] Displaying OTR errors (was Re: Hmmm.)

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Jan 26 11:23:45 EST 2005

Sorry, I was not sufficiently specific.  I didn't mean that all errors
are sent via inject_message, just that there are some which are and
should not be.

9:30:30 <my buddy's name>: ?OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to <my
buddy's name>, who was expecting encrypted messages from you.

10:23:21 <my buddy's name>: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to <my
buddy's name>, who wasn't expecting it.

10:45:21 <my buddy's name>: The encrypted message received from  <my
buddy's name> is unreadable, as you are not currently communicating
privately.

10:46:10 <my buddy's name>: The following message received from  <my
buddy's name> was not encrypted: [ok, I canceled encryption

Those are four error conditions which are displayed as incoming
messages.  The first and second are definitely errors, but they are
presented as simple text received from the other person.  The third I
believe should be presented as an error, not a message, as it does not
contain message text.  The fourth does make sense presenting as a
message, carrying its OTR descriptive prefix ("The following message
received.... was not encrypted:")

Is that clearer?

Thanks,
Evan