[OTR-dev] gaim-otr for Windows

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jan 18 10:11:27 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:32:03PM -0500, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> As I said, it works correctly for me (under wine).  Now, is it possible
> that crashes would happen if someone had different versions of the above
> libraries from the ones I scrounged around on the web for?

w00t!

A whole lot of fprintfs later, I tracked down the bug.

It was actually a bug in libgcrypt's randomness gatherer: the win32
version walks the memory heap table and adds everything in it to the
randomness pool.  But adding things to the pool can change the table.
If the change is to add something after the place in the table you're
currently scanning, you get an infinite loop.

I've patched the win32 libgcrypt, and sent a fix to the maintainers.
Since we statically link libgcrypt on win32, there's no problem, and
we'll just link in the fixed version.

Yay!  gaim-otr now works on Windows.