[OTR-dev] Flaw in OTR Protocol (with workaround!)

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Aug 4 14:56:13 EDT 2005

This just happened, thought it was clearly illustrate both the
problem under discussion and a related issue:

<I'm in an OTR session with OtherUser, both of us are on Manual>
2:45:31 PM OtherUser: brb
OtherUser disconnected (2:45:32 PM)
OtherUser connected (2:49:00 PM)
2:49:45 PM OtherUser: The following message received from OtherUser
was not encrypted: [and we're back
2:49:52 PM tekjew: and this.
2:49:52 PM OtherUser: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to
OtherUser, who wasn't expecting it.
2:49:53 PM tekjew: is
2:49:53 PM OtherUser: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to
OtherUser, who wasn't expecting it.
2:49:54 PM tekjew: what
2:49:54 PM OtherUser: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to
OtherUser, who wasn't expecting it.
2:50:00 PM tekjew: I mean, Ian.
2:50:00 PM OtherUser: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to
OtherUser, who wasn't expecting it.
Ended encrypted OTR chat. (2:50:02 PM)
2:50:03 PM OtherUser: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to
OtherUser, who wasn't expecting it.
2:50:07 PM tekjew: hehe
2:50:08 PM tekjew: perfect!
2:50:12 PM tekjew: thanks for letting me demo that :)

So OtherUser quit and then reloaded.  He sent me an unencrypted
message... fine so far, that's to be expected.  But when I sent "and
this." I would have wanted the Magic Opportunistic (Private/Broken)
mode to take effect and renegotiate a session.

Note the other interesting oddity, though I can see why it would
happen -- When I did click "End encrypted session" locally, the
encrypted 'closed' packet was sent to OtherUser, and then I was told
that I sent encrypted data.  Most users would be very confused by
this particular bit of information, since as far as they know they
didn't send any data to the other user.

-Evan