[OTR-dev] OTR Gaim plugin: Core/GTK+ UI split

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Dec 22 03:56:02 EST 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 2:04 AM, verbal wrote:

>> libotr of course needs no modification.  gaim-otr is currently in 3
>> parts: otr-plugin.*, dialog.*, and ui.*.  I would propose gaim-otr
>> being in 5 parts, instead: otr-plugin.*, dialog.*, gtkdialog.*, ui.*,
>> and gtkui.*.
>
> i agree with that, but my opinion doesnt really mean much as i have
> next to zero experience doing gui. i was interested more in making
> libotr work with adium, but it sounds like libotr doesnt need it. so
> i'm willing to learn and design the gui cause i care about UI also.
> you're going to have to pretty much break it down for me and let me
> know what part of code you want me to hack up and/or design.
I was thinking I could do the UI and you could do the code hacking.  I
think I miscommunicated at some level; let me clarify my understanding
(someone please correct me if this is mistaken):

the gaim OTR plugin is in two parts.
1) There is a library which provides basic functionality, libotr.  This
we will not need to touch, nor would we need to touch it if were
porting to iChat or Trillian or something.
2) There is a gaim-specific plugin, which is what I described above.
This uses libotr.  It also currently is hardcoded to have GTK UI calls.
  The UI itself does not need to be changed (for it to continue working
with Gaim), but the way in which the UI is utilized does.  Part of the
current UI code is UI logic which is going to make sense for any
program, and part of it is tied directly to GTK+.

> it sounds like you're talking about have a separate dialog for otr? if
> that's correct, then i dont think we should have a separate dialog, it
> should be an option you turn on from within a regular im dialog.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'dialog' here - I haven't said anything
about the actual Adium UI for using OTR in my previous emails :)

> anywho, maybe we should go into the adium chat room to have a real
> time discussion about this.
Indeed.  I may not be around for any decent amount of time at once
until early next week.

-Evan